is not owned by, endorsed by, or affiliated with any federal, state, county, or city government.

Guide to the Montana DMV

Montana DMV Guide

If you need help with the Montana DMV, then use this helpful online guide! You can learn about Montana vehicle registration and titling, plus driver’s licensing and more.

If you’re new to Montana, or have recently purchased a car, you may need to understand the vehicle registration process.

New Vehicle Registration in Montana

If you’ve just moved to Montana, you are required to register your car with the state’s Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) within sixty days of establishing residency.

In order to complete a new registration, you will need the following:

  • A vehicle registration application (differs by county)
  • Proof of insurance
  • Proof of Identity (driver’s license or passport)
  • Registration certificate from your former state
  • Payment for all fees
    • $217 for vehicles four years old and under
    • $87 for vehicles five to ten years old
    • $28 for vehicles over eleven years old

Vehicle Inspections in Montana

Montana does not require emissions checks or smog tests on any vehicles.

Montana Vehicle Registration Renewal

You will need to renew your registration with the Montana MVD before it expires. You will usually be notified that your term is coming to an end by mail with a renewal notice. You may renew your registration in person, by mail, or online if eligible. Your fee will be based on the age of your vehicle and the length of the renewal.

Getting a Montana Vehicle Title

When you purchase a car, you will receive a title, signed by the seller. To transfer your car title to the Montana MVD from out of state, you’ll have sixty days after establishing residency. Your local county clerk will submit your out of state title and registration, a completed Application for Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle (Form MV1), a Statement of Fact (Form MV100), if requested, and your $12 titling fee. It is $8 additionally if you are recording a lien. If your car does not yet have a title, you will be able to apply so that the DMV can get your vehicle registered.

Getting a Montana Driver’s License

When you move to Montana, you will need a Montana driver’s license. New residents are allowed to transfer their out-of-state licenses. Before you receive your license, you will have to provide proof of identity, residency, and U.S. presence, and pass a written permit and driving test. These tests may be waived if your out-of-state license is valid. You’ll also have to pass a vision test and get your photo taken. The fee you’ll pay depends on your age.

Montana Auto Insurance Requirements

Liability auto insurance is required for every vehicle in Montana. You must pay:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury
  • $50,000 for total bodily injury
  • $20,000 for total property damage